Obviously, life changed in mid January. It started to change in ways that today, I couldn't even imagine. I'm no longer the same person I was before that day, nor will I ever be again. Not that I was a BAD person before! But my ideas were different then, my priorities skewed, my vision for my marriage and for a family clouded at times because life around me was too busy. I've since had to slow down (literally!) and look at my life from a whole new perspective. A perspective that is no longer just about me. It's now more about this little boy who in a matter of 8 very short weeks is going to come into my world and make it better than it's ever been before.
My journey so far has been more emotional than physical. Besides my ever-growing belly, the physical parts of being pregnant have been easier than I imagined. I was never sick, I've never had cravings, I haven't put on more weight than I can carry. You could say that I've had no complaints so far - and I really haven't. It's getting harder to be comfortable and I'm a little slower getting around. Sleeping lately has been hit or miss. But knowing that I'm down to the wire and will hold my son soon makes every uncomfortable and sleepless night worth it.
Many of the emotional parts of my pregnancy have taken their toll. Those closest to me know when I've struggled the most. Simply just being pregnant IS emotional in itself. Not to mention the pregnancy hormones that can turn you into a weeping mess for no good reason at all. But on my hardest and most trying days, when I feel the very core of myself aching and I lose sight of what is truly important - out of no where I get a kick back to reality - from my son. His every kick, hiccup, turn and tumble in my belly reminds me that he is the one and only thing that is important. As hard as I try and want to, I can't change the things around me that are beyond my control. I can't let the rage of emotions (that pregnancy has caused me to lose control over) command my attention. As this amazing little boy's mother, as the one person who can safely bring him into the world on October 3rd, it's my job to see that I don't lose focus. He's taught me to be selfless and honest. He's taught me an entire new meaning to the word "love". He's taught me to be a better person - even through the very worst of times. He's taught me how to be a family.
There's no love greater than the love you have for your own child. I understand that now. The love I hold for him in my heart can't be described in words. The magnitude of love I'll feel for him when I hold him in my arms is something I can't even begin to wrap my head around. I owe him everything in my power to make him happy. It's only fair, since he's already done that for me. He is my reason for living & breathing. He is my truest love story.
That was a beautiful piece of writing Melissa. My eyes got all teary when I read it because it was such a powerful and engaging story. I completely agree with everything you said. It is the most amazing feeling to have a little person grow in your body and to finally hold that person is breathtaking. Even though, I didn't however have the easist pregancy, lots of hospital visits, and I felt uncomfortable most of the time, I still wouldn't change it for the world. Once that baby is concieved your whole life changes, for the better and it is amazing the love you feel for an unborn baby and even more when the baby looks into your eyes. I am very excited for you and know you will be a wonderful mother. You are a strong and loving person and you will give your baby all you can give and more! I am also excited to be an Aunt to your wonderful baby as well and can't wait for our children to grow up together! Love you! xoxo
ReplyDeleteI hate when you make me cry dammit!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how you know so much about the love of a mother and child without getting to hold your baby yet. Your focus says tons about you.
ReplyDeleteIt truly is the best love story of your life! I , much like you, lived a different life until that day I saw the 2 lines on the stick. It is amazing how fast and how much you want to change all for a little seed that has just began to sprout. We as women are so lucky to be able to have such a miracle grow inside of us. You will be a fabulous mother and will love that little boy more than anything. All the stuff that goes on around you will just be stuff! Enjoy these last 8 weeks to the fullest. Once you get to hold him the love you feel now will multiply 100 times. I already can't wait to do it again!
ReplyDelete